TEFL And Techno Savvy?
My name is Katie and I have a Walkman. Well, it stopped working in December but I’m hoping it will work again because I have a couple of cassettes I really won’t be able to listen to otherwise. It also helps me cue the Headway cassettes for my classes.
It has come to my attention though that I seem to be quite technologically behind – but I do have a sense that there are other EFL teachers like me out there because:
- People who are down with all the latest technology don’t tend to go into TEFL.
- Technology is often expensive, or not an absolute necessity, and a large section of EFL teachers don’t have a lot of disposable income.
- Cool new gadgets aren’t always as widely available or available at the same relative price compared to income.
- EFL teachers may be more likely to spend money on experiences – like further travel – than on things they’ll have to pack up and take with them.
- When you’re not around people who are using it, it doesn’t seem so imperative to get it.
- Dating a guy who knows how to use all that stuff is a disincentive to learning how to use it yourself…though it may end up leaving you in a lurch…later.
Okay, okay, some of these may be a bit skewed towards my own experience, but I still feel like I can’t be the only one. Anyone else out there who is similarly behind?